Thursday, March 15, 2007

The Birth of Deceptively Quick...

I realized I should maybe do a post about what this blog is all about. If for no other reason than for me to figure it out for myself. Basically, there's a lot of things in the world of basketball to talk about, and there's already multiple blogs for each one. Upon reflection, I think I started this blog for the following reasons:

1) I bought a new laptop, and I need to justify the purchase by using it a lot.

2) I recently graduated college and now I "just work." After multiple years of doing the work all you can/study all you can/have fun all you can cycle that is the modern college life for many (I don't know a whole lot of folks who had that "college experience" I hear about: lots of drinking/hanging out, go to class every once and a while/party party party. An increasing number of us have to grind hard to make it, wake up people!) Basically, I need another outlet for my thoughts and energy.

3) I am planning to go work abroad in the coming months, and I have this idea that blogging about basketball will help me feel connected to some familiarity in what will be a very unfamiliar place. Don't get me wrong, I'm going there to experience as many new things as I can. But my idea is that being able to sit down and write about the world I know will be comforting from time to time.

4) Oh ya, and I'm selfish. I think MY ideas should be out there more. There are things I think people don't talk about enough, and I'll try to focus on those. This is a good format for me to feel like I'm getting my own ideas out, whether anybody reads them or not.

If you follow sports, the name of the blog probably has a pretty obvious source. Just in case you're not, its the common way sports announcers (aka "experts") like to refer to White players who are athletic. I'm not mad about it, I'm not hoping to make any grand social commentary. I just always thought it was funny. I wanted to call this "Thinking Man's Basketball," because thats was a funny (to me) way I used to explain why I was a big fan of Temple's team when John Chaney was there. Then I realized people might take it to mean I'M the thinking man, and then the bar would be set too high. So I settled on deceptively quick.


I'm a big fan of the game of basketball itself. My favorite NBA team is the Portland Trailblazers, and I've always had a soft spot for the Indiana Pacers as well. I'm not sure where this blog will head, but as of now I'm happy to have the placenta wiped off.

No comments: