I realized I should maybe do a post about what this blog is all about. If for no other reason than for me to figure it out for myself. Basically, there's a lot of things in the world of basketball to talk about, and there's already multiple blogs for each one. Upon reflection, I think I started this blog for the following reasons:
1) I bought a new laptop, and I need to justify the purchase by using it a lot.
2) I recently graduated college and now I "just work." After multiple years of doing the work all you can/study all you can/have fun all you can cycle that is the modern college life for many (I don't know a whole lot of folks who had that "college experience" I hear about: lots of drinking/hanging out, go to class every once and a while/party party party. An increasing number of us have to grind hard to make it, wake up people!) Basically, I need another outlet for my thoughts and energy.
3) I am planning to go work abroad in the coming months, and I have this idea that blogging about basketball will help me feel connected to some familiarity in what will be a very unfamiliar place. Don't get me wrong, I'm going there to experience as many new things as I can. But my idea is that being able to sit down and write about the world I know will be comforting from time to time.
4) Oh ya, and I'm selfish. I think MY ideas should be out there more. There are things I think people don't talk about enough, and I'll try to focus on those. This is a good format for me to feel like I'm getting my own ideas out, whether anybody reads them or not.
If you follow sports, the name of the blog probably has a pretty obvious source. Just in case you're not, its the common way sports announcers (aka "experts") like to refer to White players who are athletic. I'm not mad about it, I'm not hoping to make any grand social commentary. I just always thought it was funny. I wanted to call this "Thinking Man's Basketball," because thats was a funny (to me) way I used to explain why I was a big fan of Temple's team when John Chaney was there. Then I realized people might take it to mean I'M the thinking man, and then the bar would be set too high. So I settled on deceptively quick.
I'm a big fan of the game of basketball itself. My favorite NBA team is the Portland Trailblazers, and I've always had a soft spot for the Indiana Pacers as well. I'm not sure where this blog will head, but as of now I'm happy to have the placenta wiped off.
These fine places have linked here, even after they read it:
- Agree to Disagree
- Alana G
- And One
- Ball Don't Lie
- Ball In Europe
- Be The Three
- Blaze of Love
- Bust a Bucket
- El CAI a la ACB
- El Ilusorio Blog de Rudy
- Give Me The Rock
- KNEE JERK NBA
- Life on Dumars
- NBA FanHouse
- OregonLive.com Blazers Blog
- Peninsula is Mightier
- Peter Robert Casey
- Rip City Forever
- Roundball Mining Company
- Rusty's Blog
- Sport Chit Chat
- Steven's Triathlon Station
- SunSpectrum: A Phoenix Suns Blog
- The AltRaps Blog
- THE WIZZNUTZZ
- Trailblazers Talk
- Tremendous Upside Potential
- What Would Oakley Do?
A sampling of other places I steal from:
- ► 2010 (29)
- ► 2009 (233)
- ► 2008 (261)
- Billy Packer, Walter Herrmann, and the Revenge of ...
- Arenas wants you to understand...
- I didn't mean for it to be this way...
- 3-0, Thanks Zach! March Madness???
- arguably hating the underdog, and mamba camps.
- Further Proof
- Lottery! I'm a LaFan! Fred Hickman! Kenny!
- The best blog you never read
- 3/16/07 - Watching Blazers vs. Lakers
- The Birth of Deceptively Quick...
- ▼ March (10)