Saturday, June 2, 2007

Punishment from the Basketball Gods

Why no entries for a while? I've been sequestered in a cave somewhere in Oregon, with a basketball in one hand and a picture of Terry Porter in the other, in a trance-like state searching for answers.

Let me explain.

Remember how I wrote about how I can't seem to care about the Eastern Conference Playoffs? I genuinely felt bad about that feeling, like I was being a bad basketball fan. But it was the truth.

I admit, I was getting a little interested in the early Eastern Conference Finals. This is irrelevant, because I wasn't interested enough to prevent what would happen next. On May 31st, The Pistons and The Cavs played a little something called Game 5. I was watching from tip off until I remembered I was going to go play some basketball that night.

"I can miss this, even when its close how fun is it to watch NBA teams score in the 70's anyways?"

Peace out TV, the pickup game is callin!

Thats when the heavenly and just bodies that watch over basketball decided they'd had enough of my ways. Time to teach a lesson, Jack Brown will respect the game.

First of all, I didn't even get to play a real game. Not enough people showed up (they were appeasing the Gods by staying home and watching Game 5 I imagine), so we played a few rounds of 21 instead. Weak.

During this unholy act I was receiving text messages about what was going on, first came this:

"lebron takeover!"

Then,

"ot, lebron!"

And finally, when I knew I was being divinely punished,

"Cavs n 2ot, lebron 48"

I missed it. When I got home I was glued to the highlights. I woke up the next morning and had to read stuff like this all day long about where Lebron's performance fits on the all-time playoff moments list. Worse still, was the people asking me what I thought about the game.

I'm sorry. It will never happen again. I'm renewing my vows to the game. Never again. Lesson learned.

Lebron's last 25 points:

No comments: