Now that the starters have been announced, we can finally take a concrete measure Roy's competition for a reserve spot on the All-Star team. Let's start with the argument for his inclusion. Don't throw up his stats, because honestly there's guys with better stats that probably won't make it. To me, the strength in his case is how surprisingly well the Blazers have played and what he means to the team, which is Everything. The Blazers marketing did their part with the clever iRoy promotion, which got people talking. You can bet the league wants to promote this blossoming star over some veterans that they've already got the public dropping cash on. He's got The Man on his side.
It will still be tough. The voters all may be too old to know how to use their iRoy, and will probably end up getting frustrated trying to get that confounded machine to work. Plus they seem to give the edge to veterans more often, whether those players want it or not.
This NBA.com article does a good job outlining the competition, and the guy actually picks Roy (as does Charles Barkley, although he still thinks the team won't make the playoffs). The homer in me would do the same, and I hope it works out like that. But the boner the voters have for Ginobili and Parker is not to be underestimated. Additionally, with the Hornets shockingly having the best record in the West, I'd think they deserve two All-Stars. I like the chronically unrecognized David West. Baron Davis? Josh Howard? Shawn Marion? Deron Williams? Marcus Camby? This doesn't get easier.
Then again, Roy does the improbable pretty easily sometimes. For now, savor the debate. It's one more unlikely gift this season has provided us.
These fine places have linked here, even after they read it:
- Agree to Disagree
- Alana G
- And One
- Ball Don't Lie
- Ball In Europe
- Be The Three
- Blaze of Love
- Bust a Bucket
- El CAI a la ACB
- El Ilusorio Blog de Rudy
- Give Me The Rock
- KNEE JERK NBA
- Life on Dumars
- NBA FanHouse
- OregonLive.com Blazers Blog
- Peninsula is Mightier
- Peter Robert Casey
- Rip City Forever
- Roundball Mining Company
- Rusty's Blog
- Sport Chit Chat
- Steven's Triathlon Station
- SunSpectrum: A Phoenix Suns Blog
- The AltRaps Blog
- THE WIZZNUTZZ
- Trailblazers Talk
- Tremendous Upside Potential
- What Would Oakley Do?
A sampling of other places I steal from:
- ► 2010 (29)
- ► 2009 (233)
- Trade Deadline Hysteria
- To Random Portlander: Stop Being a Douche. Serious...
- About This Business of Sending Jack Off (HaHa!)
- Portland vs. Atlanta: This is not a Recap!
- Obligatory Roy for All-Star Post
- What We Learned: Blazers 7 Game Road Trip
- God Shammgod stays in Portland, YES!
- Goonerluke Gives Thanks
- Akeem The (Other) Dream
- Brrrrrrrrrr! Chronicles Volume 1: Soccer
- Petteri Koponen Update from Finland
- Blazers popularity hurts procrastinators
- Pippen versus the Finnagler
- A monument to Martell Webster's 3rd Quarter
- Circling back: Brandon Roy's nickname
- Damon Stoudamire not happy with aging, Grizzlies a...
- Portland vs Chicago: winning and growing
- Darius Miles entertains with his spending
- Portland vs Minnesota: New Win Streak
- New Years Day Finnish Style
- ▼ January (20)