Saturday, March 8, 2008

Lets Stop Pretending College Sports are College Sports

I don't rant as much as I used to, I should bring that back...

There is a lot going on here. I recommend watching the embedded video as well. I enjoy the romanticized ideas of college sports being passionate amateur students pursuing a degree, it might actually be like that for some, but it takes considerable dogma to hold onto that view if you pay the least bit of attention. The most annoying thing to me is people acting outraged when they get reminded of the heavily blurred lines we all know exist.

Beyond that issue, which is too big for this blog, that link has some other interesting themes. Lil' Romeo is a celebrity that will sell tickets? Really? I know I'm not exactly in his targeted demographic, but this guy hasn't blipped my radar screen in years. For some reason, the deal was Demar DeRozan and Lil' Romeo or nothing. Wouldn't it have been enough to let No Limit Jr. walk on? Can't this guy cover it? Make em say uhhh indeed.

My second favorite part is when the high school basketball coach goes off reflecting on what it all means about our society. That turn I did not see coming. I love basketball, warts and all.

No comments:

Blog Archive