The Blazers currently have 34 wins and 20 losses, good enough for a four seed if the playoffs started today. Have you noticed that a whopping 13 of those losses have come to teams that are in the top 10 in points scored per game? Check it out:
Teams ranked #1-10 in PPG
8 - 13 (38%)
You could explain a team having a lower winning percentage against the top 10 scoring teams as simply a reflection of playing higher quality opponents. That would be true as this group includes the Lakers, Boston, Orlando, and Cleveland. But the group also includes the likes of New York, Golden State, and Indiana. A lower winning percentage would be expected, but one that is 54 percentage points less than when facing teams ranked 11-20 is a bit staggering.
For all Portland's youth and length, it appears that they really don't like playing teams that run and gun. No need to freak out yet, Portland is still very young and has time to figure this out. If they don't solve this it will become a rather large weakness, especially when considering championship aspirations.
Portland Trail Blazers team won-lost profiles for the 2008-09 season [82games.com]
Team Offensive Statistics for 2008-2009 [NBA.com]
These fine places have linked here, even after they read it:
- Agree to Disagree
- Alana G
- And One
- Ball Don't Lie
- Ball In Europe
- Be The Three
- Blaze of Love
- Bust a Bucket
- El CAI a la ACB
- El Ilusorio Blog de Rudy
- Give Me The Rock
- KNEE JERK NBA
- Life on Dumars
- NBA FanHouse
- OregonLive.com Blazers Blog
- Peninsula is Mightier
- Peter Robert Casey
- Rip City Forever
- Roundball Mining Company
- Rusty's Blog
- Sport Chit Chat
- Steven's Triathlon Station
- SunSpectrum: A Phoenix Suns Blog
- The AltRaps Blog
- THE WIZZNUTZZ
- Trailblazers Talk
- Tremendous Upside Potential
- What Would Oakley Do?
A sampling of other places I steal from:
- ► 2010 (29)
- Slow Posting Excuse Number 12381287231089132
- Clearing up some Blazer myths, volume I
- Bill Bayno returns to team, warm fuzzies
- Greg Oden's latest injury: Everyone take a deep br...
- Tuesday Linksta 2/24/09:
- Petteri Koponen Watch: Travis Best still playing e...
- Weakened Pondering: Blazers vs High Scoring Teams
- Petteri Koponen Watch: Brandon Jennings can't wait...
- Trade Deadline Day, Michael Ruffin!
- A break from the trade talk, thanks Z-Bo!
- I Can't Stop Giving Trade Rumor Updates: The Carte...
- Another Trade Rumors Update: It's almost over
- Tuesday Linksta 2/17/09
- Blazer trade rumors getting more hilarious, Luke R...
- Petteri Koponen Watch: Plus/Minus edition
- Nate Robinson can't dunk as well as a kid from Col...
- Who is Matthew Hirsch and why is he taunting me?
- Taurean Green got waived...I think...
- More Amare to Portland, this is ridiculous
- Petteri Koponen Watch: Nothing to add edition
- Portland for Amare is not going away...
- Awesome Blazers garbage on Ebay: Volume I
- About all this LaMarcus for Stoudemire talk....
- Bonzi Wells dropped from Chinese Team, one step cl...
- Thursday Linksta 2/5/09
- Petteri Koponen Watch: Designer Jeans edition
- Did you know Rebecca Haarlow blogs too?!?
- Mandatory Super Bowl Entry: Steve Patterson is whe...
- ▼ February (28)
- ► 2008 (261)