H.T. sends in an update on how things are going in Italy for Petteri Koponen, the man I refuse to stop calling The Finnagler.
Italian Serie A tipped off this Monday and played the
first game of his professional career when defeated
Angelico Biella 83-72 (49-36) in the home opener. As expected, Koponen
came off the bench behind Virtus starting point guard Earl Boykins,
who played a grand total of 32 minutes. Koponen managed to score five
points (FG 2/3), steal the ball two times and dish out one assist
(with one turnover) in his 12 minutes off the bench. While these stat
numbers are modest, the official website of Virtus Bologna called this
an "optimal debut" and the writers at fan forums have already began
wanting more playing time for Petteri.
Anyway, it is certain that even though Petteri Koponen has lead Honka
Playboys to consecutive Finnish championships and Finnish national
team to Eurobasket 2009 additional qualifying round, this will be his
first full season playing against top class opponents. It is possible
that season 2008/2009 will develop Petteri quite enough for him to
become an NBA substitute point guard, but most likely he won't blossom
before he has spent at least one full season in his new team.
Virtus Bologna - Angelico Biella 83-72 (49-36)
Virtus: 18/11/4 blocks, Earl Boykins 14/1/5 assists,
Jamie Arnold 13/2.
Biella: Reece Gaines 18/1, Joe Smith 15/3/4 assists, James Gist 14/3.
Petteri Koponen: MIN 14 FG 2/3 (3p 1/1) PTS 5 AST 1 ST 2 TO 1 PF 2
These fine places have linked here, even after they read it:
- Agree to Disagree
- Alana G
- And One
- Ball Don't Lie
- Ball In Europe
- Be The Three
- Blaze of Love
- Bust a Bucket
- El CAI a la ACB
- El Ilusorio Blog de Rudy
- Give Me The Rock
- KNEE JERK NBA
- Life on Dumars
- NBA FanHouse
- OregonLive.com Blazers Blog
- Peninsula is Mightier
- Peter Robert Casey
- Rip City Forever
- Roundball Mining Company
- Rusty's Blog
- Sport Chit Chat
- Steven's Triathlon Station
- SunSpectrum: A Phoenix Suns Blog
- The AltRaps Blog
- THE WIZZNUTZZ
- Trailblazers Talk
- Tremendous Upside Potential
- What Would Oakley Do?
A sampling of other places I steal from:
- ► 2010 (29)
- ► 2009 (233)
- Weak Review: Mr. Glass edition
- Dear Rip City, Stop thinking about Oden. I can hel...
- NBA Opening Night: Blazers vs Lakers
- Blazers opening night, I am filled with enthusiasm...
- Blazers season previews review...What?
- Get your hope here, Oden style
- Weak Review: Waived players edition
- Shavlik Randolph, Portland Trailblazer
- Ricky Davis gives monetary rewards for dunking on ...
- Consolidated McDonalds Dunk Contests = secret sauc...
- The Biggest Story in the WORLD: Dan Dickau release...
- Darius Miles waived, donks vanishing into the suns...
- Meanwhile, back in Finland
- Weak Review: Ghosts from the past
- Inconsequential Tales of Blazer-Fan Interaction: U...
- Petteri Koponen's Italian Experience: Update
- The Dirk Defense
- Qyntel Woods Blotter Update: The Italians are awar...
- The Outdoor Game! Phoenix vs. Denver
- That MoPed cost Monta Ellis $3 Million
- The Blazers ARE NOT INJURY PRONE
- Not Another Season Preview! 2008 Trailblazers
- The Optimist's Blazer Preview
- The Pessimist's Blazer Preview
- Why did you not tell me the Portland Chinooks were...
- A little Hibachi to hold you over
- ▼ October (26)