Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Happy Free Agent Day!

July 11th came, and NBA teams haven't wasted much time getting all official. I'm way late on all this, but thought I would at least extend some effort (or you could just read hoopshype). Here are some of my favorites:

Darko agreed to a 3-year deal with the Grizzlies (for MORE than the new midlevel exception of $5.3 million). Is this what they meant by putting better pieces around Gasol? I'm sure he's ecstatic.

Gerald Wallace is signing with the Bobcats for 6 years and $57 million. The Bobcats will be pretty interesting this season. I hope Walter Herrmann still gets time even though its looking like the offense will revolve around JRich, Wallace, and Emeka. I vowed to forever support him after I reluctantly picked him up off waivers last fantasy basketball season, then watched him revitalize my team. God Bless Walter Herrmann.

Grant Hill is officially a Phoenix Sun. I'm a Hill fan, but not sure how this helps them get tougher or better at post defense, two things they actually need. I think Hill would have been a better fit with San Antonio, another smart vet with good overall skills, but guess he chose Phoenix. Surely he could have signed with SA right? RIGHT?

The salary cap got set at $55,630,000. I am reminded of my insignificance.

It also became official today that Steve Francis will NOT become a Blazer, as Portland officially said they agreed to a buy-out. Bigger news was that the Blazers "only" got James Jones and the Draft Rights to Rudy Fernandez from Phoenix in that big draft day trade. This ends speculation that there was some exciting unknown player in the deal that couldn't be announced (I heard Marion and Diaw most often). Still not a bad deal. The OLive Blazers Blog breaks it down.

Thats it, I'm back to watching Summer League. A Happy Free Agent Day to all!

No comments:

Blog Archive