When Portland drafted Joel Freeland with the 30th pick in the first round of the 2006 Draft, there was a lot of head scratching. Its an odd thing when your team picks someone you haven't heard of, when the knee-jerk rage is stifled by confusion.
We found out he was some big white 19 year old from England, which is more odd. His wikipedia entry and his NBADraft.net profile both compare him to to Keon Clark. It seems our man Joel is deceptively quick, so this blog pretty much has to support him.
He played for a team in the Canary Islands, CB Gran Canaria, this season after signing a two year contract with them last August. They're a member of Spain's pro ACB League, which is one of the top leagues in Europe and allegedly no joke. According to wikipedia (this is the depth of my research), our man Joel put up 14.8 points and 7.6 boards per.
Raw and mysterious Joel might have some serious game, and he can't buy a drink in the United States yet.
Which is sort of a bummer for him, because Joel is heading to Vegas with Portland for summer league (oregonlive blog lists the entire roster, with some cool player blurbs). Nice for us, because we get to see this mysterious young gent in action. It isn't likely he'll suit up for Portland in the fall, but the 2008 season seems realistic if he keeps improving.
Two big white guys named Joel on one NBA roster? I'm not really sure something that unusual can happen. I hope the Vanilla Gorilla is watching his back.
Here's what youtube has to say about the guy (which is very little):
These fine places have linked here, even after they read it:
- Agree to Disagree
- Alana G
- And One
- Ball Don't Lie
- Ball In Europe
- Be The Three
- Blaze of Love
- Bust a Bucket
- El CAI a la ACB
- El Ilusorio Blog de Rudy
- Give Me The Rock
- KNEE JERK NBA
- Life on Dumars
- NBA FanHouse
- OregonLive.com Blazers Blog
- Peninsula is Mightier
- Peter Robert Casey
- Rip City Forever
- Roundball Mining Company
- Rusty's Blog
- Sport Chit Chat
- Steven's Triathlon Station
- SunSpectrum: A Phoenix Suns Blog
- The AltRaps Blog
- THE WIZZNUTZZ
- Trailblazers Talk
- Tremendous Upside Potential
- What Would Oakley Do?
A sampling of other places I steal from:
- ► 2010 (29)
- ► 2009 (233)
- ► 2008 (261)
- I want NBA Live 08
- Brandon Roy: Not scrimmaging with Team USA
- Qyntel Woods: still earning a living playing baske...
- Michigan wants beef
- Ha Seung-Jin, tremendous upside-potential achieved...
- Portland is bored already
- Ok Ok Ok, Calm Down
- Milwaukie Chinese feelin like Yi
- Etan Thomas to Andrew Bogut: THATS a knife!
- 2007 Summer League: Portland vs. Seattle
- More on Steve Blake
- Please God No
- Summer League: Blazers vs. Lakers 1
- Summer League: Blazers vs. Lakers 2
- Summer League: Lakers vs. Portland 3
- Happy Free Agent Day!
- Portland vs. Dallas: Summer League Game 2 Notes
- What I'm looking for: Portland vs. Dallas Summer L...
- Oden's Debut: Portland Notes
- Oden's Debut: Boston Notes
- David Stern wants you to hate him
- NBA Summer League Kickoff
- Spencer Hawes: More than just a bust
- Blazers get to be on TV! GLORIOUS RELEVANCE!
- Remix: Don't sleep on Joel Freeland!
- The Return of Joel Freeland
- Greg Oden: Man of the People
- ▼ July (27)