I'm a nickname enthusiast. I enjoy giving them to everyone on the basketball court at any level. My favorite has been the guy that used to frequent the same pickup games I did, whom I deemed White Jesus for his ability to work miracles. It stuck, and when he walked in the door even infants screamed out his new name. Awesome.
When pointguard Petteri Koponen was drafted, I figured he must have some sort of nickname. I heard it was "The Finnisher." Thats all well and good, he is from Finland, so I guess that works out. While I support the play on his nationality, I can't buy this nickname because he's not, you know, a finisher. Plus I'm just not sure he's that badass yet.
So I have been championing "The Finnagler." He may not be a finisher, but you can definitely see him as a finagler, so I'm into it. In my efforts, I edited his wikipedia page to make it true. Wikipedia = the truth, I saw it on Colbert Report.
But in my efforts, how could I ignore the fact that he plays for a team called the Playboys? Casey Holdahl at OLive referred to him as "The Playboy," which may render "The Finnagler" obsolete. Its difficult to compete with the comedy that is foreign things that sound funny. If it is the will of the people, so be it.
Also, I like calling Darius Miles "Big Pun." I love that he used to call himself "The Punisher," and figure that since he is reportedly pretty fat, Big Pun would be a nice modification.
These fine places have linked here, even after they read it:
- Agree to Disagree
- Alana G
- And One
- Ball Don't Lie
- Ball In Europe
- Be The Three
- Blaze of Love
- Bust a Bucket
- El CAI a la ACB
- El Ilusorio Blog de Rudy
- Give Me The Rock
- KNEE JERK NBA
- Life on Dumars
- NBA FanHouse
- OregonLive.com Blazers Blog
- Peninsula is Mightier
- Peter Robert Casey
- Rip City Forever
- Roundball Mining Company
- Rusty's Blog
- Sport Chit Chat
- Steven's Triathlon Station
- SunSpectrum: A Phoenix Suns Blog
- The AltRaps Blog
- THE WIZZNUTZZ
- Trailblazers Talk
- Tremendous Upside Potential
- What Would Oakley Do?
A sampling of other places I steal from:
- ► 2010 (29)
- ► 2009 (233)
- ► 2008 (261)
- The joy of tearing a man's pride to pieces
- Team USA doesn't remember Greece
- The Northwest without the Sonics
- Deceptively Quick: officially an obscure subtle in...
- Its good to see us feeling so good about ourselves...
- Its over! 24
- What stinks in Miami? 23
- Grant Hill: Totally Duuuuuuude!, 22
- Its a beautiful goddamn day in Oregon, 21
- How not to show your enthusiasm for your team: thr...
- Fighting a losing Battle: Jack Brown's futile atte...
- NBA Live 08: Bold Predictions (get it? Ha!), 18
- Expanding horizons, 17
- Terry Porter is a real man, 16
- Portland Beavers on Deadspin, 15
- Shit I'm tired of blogging, 14
- Martell Webster, to know you is to be mired in bef...
- Travis Outlaw, to know you is to be mired in befud...
- A Moment of Silence for sweet ticket deals, 11
- Blazer Nicknames, 10
- When I hit the wall, 9
- Seriously, Juwan Howard is in the news, 8
- League to Seattle Owner: stop being stupid, 7
- Tim Donaghy's quest to become the most hated man a...
- Joel Freeland can't catch a break, 5
- The End of Racism, 4
- People in Indiana hate Josh McRoberts, 3
- USA vs Venezuela, 2
- Blog Day 100 entries, 1
- Good thing theres so much meth in Oregon!
- James Hollywood Robinson
- The Reggie Miller Comeback; at least he'll go away...
- Are ugly cars part of the new Blazer Culture?
- When Blazers Matter This Much, I explode
- Jack scheduled to start?
- ▼ August (35)