After the first ten games we noted the following impressive stats:
6-4 record against a tough schedule
#3 in offensive efficiency
The following were noted as potential concerns:
#25 in defensive efficiency, giving up more points than they were scoring
74% of shots taken were jumpers
Now that another ten games have been played, it seems like a good idea to check on these sames stats and note some possible trends.
The Blazers have won eight of their last ten games and currently have a five game win streak. Although most of these victories have come against weaker teams (Minnesota, Chicago, Sacramento twice, Miami, and New York), they do have wins over New Orleans and Detroit. Their two losses came from Phoenix and New Orleans. The take away message here seems to be that the Blazers are consistently beating teams they are supposed to beat. Veteranmuch?
As of right now, Portland is second in the league in offensive efficiency, up from number three ten games ago. With twenty games played this seems to indicate the Blazers have a consistently excellent offense, that their high ranking isn't simply the result of a ephemeral hot streak.
And what of the Blazers jumper-heavy offense? It has remained so, but trended downward slightly over the last ten games. After twenty games Portland's shot distribution now looks like this:
Is the slight dip in jumpers (3%) contributing to the slight rise in offensive efficiency? Can a team be a true contender relying so heavily on the jump shot? Not sure. For comparison, look at the Lakers shot selection:
A juicy detail here that might counter the "closer is better" adage is that Portland shoots an effective field goal percentage .07 higher than the Lakers. Something to think about.
A large concern after the first ten games was that Portland was ranked #25 in the league in defensive efficiency. Ten games later the team has moved up to the exact middle of the NBA at #15. This is a fantastic development.
In the first ten games Portland was giving up more points than they were scoring. They are now ranked fourth in the league in win/loss differential.
Over the last ten games the good things and the bad things seem to have gotten better. One gets the sense that pretty soon it won't even be fair. Go Blazers!
These fine places have linked here, even after they read it:
- Agree to Disagree
- Alana G
- And One
- Ball Don't Lie
- Ball In Europe
- Be The Three
- Blaze of Love
- Bust a Bucket
- El CAI a la ACB
- El Ilusorio Blog de Rudy
- Give Me The Rock
- KNEE JERK NBA
- Life on Dumars
- NBA FanHouse
- OregonLive.com Blazers Blog
- Peninsula is Mightier
- Peter Robert Casey
- Rip City Forever
- Roundball Mining Company
- Rusty's Blog
- Sport Chit Chat
- Steven's Triathlon Station
- SunSpectrum: A Phoenix Suns Blog
- The AltRaps Blog
- THE WIZZNUTZZ
- Trailblazers Talk
- Tremendous Upside Potential
- What Would Oakley Do?
A sampling of other places I steal from:
- ► 2010 (29)
- ► 2009 (233)
- The Interwebs Love LaMarcus
- Sans-Roy Blazers beat the Boston Bullies
- More on Channing Frye
- Joel Freeland injury update
- Earl Boykins CUT from Italian Club! More time for ...
- Joel Freeland injury
- Petteri Koponen Watch: Christmas is a time for giv...
- Don't Vote Rudy
- Suns sign Brown, ruin Christmas
- Watchout for those Vikings
- Nuggets at Portland, Pre-pregame
- Petteri Koponen Watch: Moral victories edition
- Shaq took the loss at Portland pretty hard
- Your Weekend Disturbing Animated Gif
- Weak Review: Brandon Roy goes mainstream edition
- Brandon Roy scores 52, Blazers win
- Suns at Portland, Pre-pregame
- Petteri Koponen Watch: Still starting
- Darius Miles signs with Memphis, soul-mate Z-Bo ki...
- Petteri Koponen Watch: Don't pay attention to this...
- Weak Review: Darius Miles won't go away edition
- First All-Star ballot returns: Playing for Portlan...
- Scoring Consistency Observation #2: For the haters...
- Goonerluke random thought 12/11
- Scoring Consistency Observation #1: Brandon Roy at...
- The Consistent Stat is NOT dead!
- Portland Trailblazers Painfest: A Festival of PAIN...
- Another Von Wafer siting! GA!
- Petteri Koponen watch: Another start, another win
- Goonerluke random thought 12/10
- Blazers get Turkoglu'd!
- On Channing Frye
- Magic at Blazers, Pre-pregame
- Goonerluke random thought 12/9
- Petteri Koponen gets to play
- Goonerluke random thought 12/8
- Bah! Portland at Toronto, Sunday morning game snea...
- Portland vs Boston Recap; I don't wanna talk about...
- Portland at Boston, Pre-pregame
- Goonerluke random thought 12/5/08
- UW to retire Brandon Roy's jersey
- The (Blazers) Spirit
- Hollinger wouldn't lie, Portland a lock for the pl...
- Other blogs are interested in Taurean Green too?
- Another Joel Freeland Update
- Goonerluke random thought 12/4/08
- Forbes report: Blazers value jumps 21%
- Another 10 games, another check-up
- Blazers vs. Wizards, Pre-pregame
- Goonerluke still alive, with many random thoughts
- In the desert, my battle for free internet continu...
- ▼ December (51)