Happy Thanksgiving. I would say we Blazer fans have a whole lot to be thankful for. I'm too lazy to come up with anything myself, so I figured I'd reuse a post sent in by Goonerluke last January. It works, and now we could add even more to the list. And Goonerluke, whatever happened to you? I miss you man, come back. Original post here.
Today we take a look at those often overlooked individuals who made our current Blazers team possible and to who we all owe a debt of gratitude.
Isaiah Thomas, New York Knicks, GM
Never shy of tying another huge anchor around the neck of his ever-sinking Knicks franchise, Isaiah made the move that he thought would put his ESPN fantasy team over the top, he acquired Zach Randolph from the Blazers. A move that, if not putting the Blazers “over the top,” at least got them over a hump. (I call the other hump “D Miles”) To my friends I often describe Zeke’s skills as a general manager as the double inverse of his skills as a player. (Exception: Unless Zeke’s skills as a general manager are considered in the context of ESPN fantasy league basketball, in which case he is a borderline genius) The Blazers have overachieved this year, while the Knickerbockers are hopelessly bad, with or without Zach. How some Knicks fan hasn’t lit himself on fire in the middle of Times Square, I’ll never know. But it looks like that is what it’s going to take. Brutal, brutal legacy to leave, Zeke. Big ups for helping us with Z-Bo though, I promise I’ll never boo you. (Except for when ESPN classic shows the ’90 Finals, then I have to boo.)
While not really an individual, Microsoft is a corporation, which is a business that gets the same rights as an individual, or something like that. Regardless, the success of this Washington company has been very good to us Oregonians as well, as Paul Allen’s $18 billion (thank you MSFT!) makes the NBA salary cap and over the cap penalty more of an annoyance than anything else for Portland GMs.
Phoenix Suns ownership
Is majority owner Robert Sarver eating Shrimp Flavor Cup o’ Noodles for lunch? I hope so. I think the Suns post Nash/Hill era would look a lot brighter with Sergio Rodriguez, Rudy Fernandez, and the new Jim Jones. Sarver’s personal fortune is only 2.22% of Paul Allen’s, which means that his GM has to worry about the salary cap. Lucky for us, Phoenix’s strategy for fiscal responsibility involves jettisoning young talent to the Rose City. I toast my Sangria to you, Mr. Sarver. Ole!
Jim Paxson, Chicago Bulls, GM
In the 2006 NBA Draft, aka “The Kevin Pritchard coming out Party,” Jimmy P. gambled on upside and completely ignored fundamentals and polish when he traded LMA for TT and The Wolverine (Viktor Khryapa). I knew there had to be a good reason why we retired Paxson’s number – so that one day we could use it as a psychological edge and make him bend to our will.
Danny Ainge/Kevin McHale, Boston Celtics/Minnesota Timberwolves, GM/GM
Grouped together because they both passed on BR7 and I’m lazy. In reality, Danny Ainge deserves a way bigger shellacking on this because he basically traded the #7 pick for Telfair and a bit of cap relief = Theo’s contract
These fine places have linked here, even after they read it:
- Agree to Disagree
- Alana G
- And One
- Ball Don't Lie
- Ball In Europe
- Be The Three
- Blaze of Love
- Bust a Bucket
- El CAI a la ACB
- El Ilusorio Blog de Rudy
- Give Me The Rock
- KNEE JERK NBA
- Life on Dumars
- NBA FanHouse
- OregonLive.com Blazers Blog
- Peninsula is Mightier
- Peter Robert Casey
- Rip City Forever
- Roundball Mining Company
- Rusty's Blog
- Sport Chit Chat
- Steven's Triathlon Station
- SunSpectrum: A Phoenix Suns Blog
- The AltRaps Blog
- THE WIZZNUTZZ
- Trailblazers Talk
- Tremendous Upside Potential
- What Would Oakley Do?
A sampling of other places I steal from:
- ► 2010 (29)
- ► 2009 (233)
- Thanksgiving laziness: Repurposing old posts writt...
- Appreciating Brandon Roy: Shot Distribution
- Limited internet access gangster links post
- Reading Shaq's Twitter has not yet gotten old
- Blazers vs Kings (again), Pre-pregame (blah)
- Weakened Review, ex-Blazers on the move
- Portland vs Phoenix, Pre-pregame; Von Wafer editio...
- Blazers vs Kings, Pre-pregame
- Taurean Green and Joel Freeland updates
- I don't know what this is
- Inconsequential Tales of Blazer-Fan Interaction: Z...
- Rasheed Wallace reacts to FreeDarko
- Blazers vs Bulls, catharsis
- Ron Artest will not stand for your homophobia, oh ...
- Blazers vs. Warriors; immediate rage please subsid...
- Blazers vs Warriors, pre-pregame
- Taurean Green blows up
- They still like Jarrett Jack in Indy
- A look at the Blazers, ten games in
- Blazers vs T'Wolves, Pre-pregame
- Blazers vs New Orleans Pre-pregame
- Akeem Scott: People's Champ, People's Champ, Peopl...
- NBA ballers should probably stop letting people re...
- The Latest on Joel Freeland
- Petteri Koponen in Italy Update: I just died a lit...
- The return of Oden
- Oden might play, please remain calm
- KP & Big Pun
- Greg Oden makes All-Star ballot
- Taurean Green Update: Learning his ACB's (See that...
- Gilbert Arenas would fit in Portland
- Everyone loves a road trip...
- Sergio Rodriguez asks for trade
- Blazers vs. Rockets conclusion; dramatized narrati...
- The Roy Sneakers are not worthy of supporting the ...
- Definitive outline of Darius Miles ramifications
- Blazers vs Rockets
- Portland vs. Utah, CNN vs. The Sith
- Voting is fun
- Outlaw for Conley rumors...
- Rudy's first three games
- Weakend Review: Don't you feel better? I feel bett...
- ▼ November (42)